Sunday, November 8, 2009

The journey begins

Dear reader,

Thank you for stopping by to visit. My interest in the manicule was sparked several years ago when I recieved an old print set for Christmas containing a stamp of the symbol. Since then it has only increased, even resulting in the original manicule stamp tattooed on my body for the rest of my life. I am now ready to take my love of the pointing hand to the next level, by following every one I meet to wherever it may take me.

Almost everything that I love to do is going to give me carpal tunnel or arthritis in my fingers. In fulfilling my own goals and desires, I am also ruining the means by which they are achieved. One of my greatest visual joys is seeing hands pointing the way in books and on signage. The human hand is a very meaningful symbol, and to me the beauty of the manicule lies in the fact that a simple line or arrow would have sufficed. Nevertheless, homage is paid to humanity's most powerful tool with every pointing fist.

If you would like to learn more about the history of this wonderful symbol, I would recommend reading Toward a History of the Manicule by William H. Sherman> http://tinyurl.com/manicule

Who knows where the almighty manicule will lead me? I will do my part to answer every index with my feet, devour every mutton-fist with my mind, and capture every pointing hand with a camera. You, dear reader, will have to check back soon and often as I chronicle the journey.

With love,
Laura

1 comment: